Ojo Encino was established in 1951. Ojo Encino has a name in Navajo called, Tse'chizhi' Bito' and in Spanish meaning "Oak Springs", a name given by Spanish settler in this area and acknowledged by Navajos. In the early days, a family by the name of Augustine was the first family to ever settle here. The grandfather of the family, Salvador Toledo, was the first person within the community to be assigned land on the "Indian Allotment" basis. By 1950, the first organized community group was started. Many negotiations took place between the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the local landowners. Therefore, giving people land within Ojo Encino. The first building which was used as the Chapter House was built in 1965.
The Ojo Encino Chapter was recognized and certified as a Navajo Nation chapter in June of 1957. The Ojo Encino Chapter conducts monthly meetings to keep residents informed and residents have a forum to express their opinions and concerns to their Navajo Nation Council Delegate or to decide on matters concerning their chapter. The chapter offers assistance with housing materials, college students with scholarships, and many others. The chapter was able to have organizations recognized as Veterans Org., Hasbidito, Rancher's Committee, and Searching for Hope (Native Aspirations). The chapter has an assigned Community Health Representative (CHR) and a Special Diabetes Project Specialist who assist people as well.
With the work of the Chapter Administration (Manager and Administrative Assistant) and Chapter Officials the Ojo Encino Chapter became LGA Certified on March 6, 2012. A ceremony took place to celebrate this accomplishment where the whole community came to celebrate.